Andrew C. Hoffman
Updated Jan 12, 2022
Experienced Technical Architect, Leader & Manager
Andrew has over 16 years of experience in deep technical roles as well as management with a progressive increase in responsibility. He has built and led multiple DevOps programs, cloud migrations and architectural overhauls and is comfortable hands-on if necessary or leading the team. He is driven by curiosity and a desire to help others feel passionate about technology and fulfilled in their careers. He is an advocate for CloudNative technologies like Kubernetes, Argo and Backstage.
Andrew is now seeking a technical lead or technical management role where he can help shape the technical direction of the organization and build a first-class developer experience.
MS, Strategic Management - IU Kelley School of Business MBA, General Management - IU Kelley School of Business BS, Computer Science, Distinguished Leadership Award - Denison University
Caribou Financial, Engineering Manager - DevOps
Aug 2021 - Jan 2023
Sr. DevOps Engineer
Apr 2021 - Aug 2021
Methodology: Change Management, Incident Response, Event Architecture, Coaching, Structured Interview, Dev Experience (Dx) Technologies: Kubernetes, Backstage, Kubernetes, ArgoCD, Argo Workflows, Elastic Stack (ELK), Kafka, PostgreSQL, GCP, GKE,ConfigConnector, CrossPlane, Terraform, Private VPC, Networking
- Initial service deployment time reduced from weeks to under 10 minutes with ArgoCD, Workflows & Backstage.
- Scaled DevOps/Dx platform from supporting 12 engineers to 60 in under 12 months using CNCF based tooling.
- Evangelized change and K8s adoption creating the A.N.T.L.E.R.S. internal Dx platform brand.
- Implemented question bank for structured interviewing hiring process used to hire 50 Engineers and managers.
- Reduced platform incident rate from 2-4 times per week to < 4 per Quarter.
- Successfully lead the consolidated Heroku and legacy cloud environments into fully idempotent IaC based Kubernetes (GKE) platform on GCP.
- Grew first DevOps team of 6 engineers into leaders with “DevOps Partner” program.
- Ensured teams career growth through 1:1s, performance reviews and consistent feedback.
- Implemented scrum process with “Feature Captains” for shared ownership of roadmap.
- Oversaw rollout of corporate rebrand by collaborating with across the organization.
- Lead team in enabled collection of DORA metrics through ArgoCD, Argo Workflows.
- Built roadmap by creating systems that analyzed dev feedback, risk & business needs.
- Established partnerships with vendors to help accelerate adoption Backstage and data-streaming architecture.
- Strategically partnered with other managers to accelerate infrastructure antifragility goals as well as product features.
- Instituted bug triage and resolution to ensure SLAs were met.
- Architect, Lead and Hands-on implementation of IaC to provision the entire GCP cloud platform, Kubernetes Infrastructure, and Private VPC, Service Mesh.
- Cut legacy monolith build time from 2+ hours to < 20 minutes by converting legacy CI/CD to Argo Workflows.
- Created and implemented GitOps CD platform with ArgoCD and an App-of-Apps pattern.
- Implemented observability/telemetry platform using Elastic Stack, Kubernetes, and Kafka.
- Designed implementation of “one-click provisioning” using Backstage Scaffolder and Helm.
- Coached team into adopting an “Umbrella-chart” pattern to easily include subcharts and allow developers to provision new infrastructure according to pre-configured best practices.
- Within the first week, resolved database instability and migrated from self-managed to CloudSQL.
- Provided architectural guidance for implementing the Data Engineering platform on Kubernetes and event-based ingestion while following GCP’s best practices for IAM security.
- Taught Sr Engineers DDD principles, coached definition of domains.
DevOps Engineer, Healthx / Zipari
Sept 2019 - Apr 2021
Methodology: Scrum, Micro Service Architecture, Design Patterns, DDD, DevOps Transformation, Infrastructure as Code Technologies: Kubernetes, Docker, AWS, PowerShell (DSC), Bash, Dot Net Core 3, Vue, ASP.NET, Windows & Linux based infrastructure, Packer, Cloudformation, Helm, ArgoCD, Istio, Knative, Jenkins, MS SQL, Newman, Selenium.
- Brought to market a new multi-channel (Voice, SMS & Chat) AI based “virtual assistant” platform that is based on microservice and cloud-native architecture.
- Created DevOps platform for Kubernetes based microservices that included templates for docker builds, infrastructure provisioning through Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and deployment via Helm and automated api test execution with Newman.
- Influenced architectural decisions and DevOps-friendly behaviors of the engineering team.
- Primary technical lead for migration of monolith ASP.NET application, working with consultancy, IT & Engineering to create new HIPAA & SOC compliant AWS environment. It is entirely based on Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and consistent between dev, test and production environments.
- Designed performance tests to evaluate latency for various deployment topologies and sizing of cloud resources and assisted others with the implementation and execution of the tests.
- Created framework for PowerShell DSC and Packer to decouple build and deployment scripts from on-prem Hyper-V solutions and prepare for immutable cloud infrastructure. Guided other DevOps engineers on implementation.
- Lead design sessions with engineering and implemented trunk based deployment workflow and tagging strategy.
- Designed and implemented proof-of-concepted “next generation” microservice platform with focus on even-driven design and 12-factor applications using Kubernetes, ArgoCD, Istio, Grafana & KNative.
- Advanced architecture by working with Sr. Dir of Engineering, Architect and other senior technical resources to begin defining ubiquitous language and bounded contexts as part of the Architecture Governance Committee.
- Designed and implemented CDN, web-firewall and DDOS protection strategy to support over 200 custom domain names and SSL certificates. Included successfully proofing out authentication strategy to support legacy session-based authentication, as well as OAuth.
- Supported and analyzed legacy deployment and database issues ranging from SQL query performance issues to single-sign-on outages.
- Worked with IT to implement centralized logging, system and security monitoring.
Scheer Hoffman Solutions & Creative
March 2015 - Sept 2019
Methodology: Small business consulting, marketing
Technologies: Kubernetes, Docker, DotNet, PowerShell, PHP, Azure DevOps, Git
- Founded to help small businesses with media and technology only previously available to large institutions.
- Created highly available multi-tenant hosting environment using Docker, Azure Kubernetes, and AzureDev Ops
- Implemented custom websites, developed strategy roadmaps, and executed implementation.
- Consulted with foundations, associations, law firms, independent professionals, manufacturing, and retailers.
- Developed and executed business models, including go-to-market strategy for B2C and B2B brands, internal processes, technology strategy, and financial decision-making models.
Manager Consultant, Sogeti
February 2011 – March 2015
- Conducted design meetings, code reviews, wrote user stories/technical specifications, estimated scope and planned workloads and ensured adherence to development methodologies.
- Researched technologies and conducted comparative analysis.
- Lead conversion of waterfall to agile/scrum development methodologies for multiple clients.
- Enterprise Architecture projects included investigative interviews, analyzing network traffic, data modeling, identifying data and process dependencies, defining canonical message formats, and selecting design patterns for services.
- Documented business processes using BPMN, analyzed for efficiency and then implemented the solutions.
- Reviewed and audited code and processes on other projects to identify architecture and stylistic flaws and make recommendations for improvements.
- Mentored junior developers in both technical and consulting skills.
- Developed both public-facing and internal solutions for seven clients in insurance, heavy manufacturing, and online marketing industries.
Senior Consultant, Ambassador Solutions July 2009 – February 2011
Project Roles: Solution Architect, Tech Lead, Technical Business Analyst
Consultant, Crown Partners July 2007 – July 2009
- Leading Architectural Change with Backstage - BackstageCon/KubeCon Fall 2022
- Business Processes for Facebook Generation – ARMA International
- SharePoint Governance – ARMA International
- SharePoint Politics: Identifying Opportunity – SharePoint Saturday
- SharePoint Ad Hoc Rapid Application Development for Relational Data – SharePoint Saturday
Community Involvement & Leadership
- Indiana Buddhist Center - Treasurer/Board of Directors/Instructor 2021-present -- Teaches weekly education sessions about Buddhist philosophy and meditation.
- Indianapolis Valley Scottish Rite - Officer - 2020-present: Masonic institution that knows where the treasure is buried.
- Millersville Masonic Lodge – President (Master) 2015 & Officer 2008-2015: Responsible for 500 membership organizations with $150,000 annual budget and $1.2m in assets plus real estate.